Pellerin Funeral Home was founded in 1921 by Harris J. Pellerin, Sr.
At the time, the funeral home business was quite different from what we know today. There were actually no “funeral homes” – Pellerin would travel to the residence of the deceased person to deliver the casket and perform the embalming. In those days, the caskets were built in his father’s furniture store in Breaux Bridge, which is now Café des Amis. The wake was also held at the home.
In 1953, the company founder became seriously ill with Parkinson’s Disease and was unable to continue active involvement in the company. In 1962 his oldest son Ray stepped in to keep the family business in operation.
The Pellerin Family operates funeral homes in Arnaudville, Breaux Bridge, Cecilia, Henderson, New Iberia and St. Martinville.
Today the Pellerin tradition continues under the direction of brothers, Gene and Frank Pellerin, third generation funeral directors, along with a highly trained professional staff.